28 June 2009

West Mifflin take inaugural Route 51 Derby...

West Mifflin 4-3 Elizabeth Forward

0-1 Some Guy (12')
1-1 Volk (20')
2-1 Cyr (55')
3-1 Cyr (59')
3-2 Some Other Guy (70')
4-2 Cyr (pen, 75')
4-3 Some Guy (85')

Lineup: I forget.

What a game. Finally, after almost two years of anticipation, the first ever Route 51Derby was played at Borland Park in front of a close-to-capacity twelve fans (a majority of which were EF supporters). Included on the sidelines was none other than Ryan Abels who had sustained a broken foot the week before. A shame, Stinner would have enjoyed skuuurrrtiinng him had he been on the pitch. Here's to him getting better.

It didn't take long for the Warriors to grab the lead despite starting down a man or two. After about ten minutes of back and forth ball, the taller bloke with blonde hair took the ball on what was described by the sliced-and-diced WMFC defense as a'bang-bang' play, sped through the middle into the box and slid the ball past Vargo for the opening goal and just like that the boys were down 0-1. The WMFC players were stunned. Actually, I don't think anyone really cared. Eight minutes later, Volk equalized on a header. I have no idea how the ball got there but it got and Volk sent it into the twine to knot the game at one. The first half is a blur to me now as I sit here in my cube. All I can remember is playing Max Payne last night and watcihng The Matrix. What a flick. I had forgotten how overly-dramatic everything Laurence Fishburne says is in that movie. He, as well as all of those in their hipster-dufus attire, also has/have a knack for procaliming at every sudden instance of trouble that they are 'running out of time.' Oh, well. Great movie though.

Anyway, whatever happened at halftime (it could have been a rousing speech by manager Bob Stinner about how Sax had to leave to be with his sister who had gone into emergency surgery) that rallied the team. Nick Cyr in particular who had himself an absolute peach of a half. He finished with a hat trick and since it was so long ago I don't remember which was which because his first two goals were very similar. However, one included a majestic run from Hasson (who has really established himself - my signing, suck it Matt Baguet)who beat three (I think)defenders enroute to a cross that he (Cyr) eventually knocked home. It really was a thing of beauty. The other goal was similar but I don't remember what the hell happened because I was picking my nose and picking rocks from off of the pitch and throwing them into the woods.

If my memory of our goals can be described as a semi-attractive woman, Okay but not quite there yet, then my memory of the opposing team's goals would be Anna Paquin, bad and absolutely not attractive. I have no idea what happened when they scored nor do I care. After they scored some goals to make it 3-2, Cyr was felled in the box on what I would have to say was an iffy penalty. The defender clearly got the ball, but definitely took out Cyr's ankles on the follow-through. Good thing it's not up to me though because the official pointed to the spot. Cyr stepped up fired a shot to the left side of the net. The keeper dove and got a hand to it but the shot was too much and it ricocheted into the net - giving Nick his hat trick.

Elizabeth Forward pushed hard and somehow came away with another goal to make it 4-3. They pushed even harder for the equalizer and came very close on several occasions. Vargo, however, maybe knowing that he was going to be abandoning the team in another week for a wild week in Vegas with his party animal mother, father, and brother, came up huge, making some huge saves.


Man of the Match: Nick Cyr

A huge, HUGE win for the Blues as they take down their Route 51 rivals. There was no time to rest on their laurels, however, as the team traveled down the historic Route 51 to Round Hill Park again for their away fixture to the Warriors in only three days time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave feedback for this site regarding players, fixtures/results, or if you have any requests please leave them here. Or, since six total people view this, just call me.